Choosing health insurance can be daunting, especially if you don’t know how much you’re likely to pay. Here is a look at what affects the cost of health insurance in Texas, and how you might bring the monthly costs down.
What Is Health Insurance?
Health insurance, or a health benefit plan, helps to cover the cost of medical treatment. For example, you can use it to help pay for prescriptions, doctor’s visits, hospital treatment, and emergency care.
If you don’t have health insurance, you will be solely responsible for paying your own medical bills. This could mean you’re unable to access the care you need and deserve.
What Is the Average Cost of Health Insurance in Texas?
Given the discrepancies between policies, there’s no set figure you can expect to pay for health cover in the state. However, health insurance normally falls within an average range, which makes it easier for families and individuals to budget for it. We can consider these ranges below.
How Much Is Health Insurance in Texas Per Month?
As a benchmark, you can expect to pay somewhere around $436 per month for health insurance in Texas. For more comprehensive coverage, you could pay more than this. However, if you feel you only require basic coverage, you will pay less (around $301).
How Much Is Health Insurance in Texas for One Person?
Family health plans let you cover multiple family members. However, you might want health insurance for just one person, especially if they have more complex needs.
Since family plans cover more people, they’re often more expensive than insuring just one person. It’s advisable to consider this when you’re comparing quotes.
What Affects the Cost of Health Insurance in Texas?
Health insurance premiums depend on a range of factors such as:
- Age: It can sometimes be more expensive to insure an older person than a younger person.
- Location: Local rules and marketplace competition can affect how much insurance costs across Texas.
- Smoking: If you use tobacco, you might pay more for health insurance than a non-smoker.
Our team can give you more details on various health plans and what might influence the cost of your policy.
How to Lower Texas Health Insurance Costs
If you need health insurance, here are some suggestions for keeping the costs down.
- Evaluate how many optional add-ons you require. For example, unless you travel a lot, you might not need travel cover and this could bring your premiums down.
- Consider whether you can afford to pay higher deductibles. Although this means you’ll pay more towards your own medical bills if you make a claim, it will reduce your monthly premiums.
- Shop around for a competitive quote rather than accepting the first quote you get from insurance companies. You may lose out on a better value policy otherwise.
Are you looking for health insurance in Texas? Healthedly can match you with affordable quotes to protect you and your family. Call us on (855) 522-2201 or check out the Texas health insurance plans available to residents.